Onam 2021: People of different religions live in India, we all know this. Here all religions have their own festivals, some festivals are celebrated in every corner of the country, while some are celebrated in a particular region or state. Talking about the main festivals of India, there are Diwali, Holi, Eid, Baisakhi, Christmas, Durga Puja etc. Talking about Diwali, it is considered to be the biggest festival of the country.
This is a big festival mainly in northern India, similarly Durga Puja in Calcutta, Baisakhi in Punjab is the main one. Talking about the festivals of a particular state, Onam festival in Kerala in South India is as important as Diwali in North India. Onam is mainly celebrated in the state of Kerala, where it is celebrated with great pomp by the Hindu religion.
Onam is a Malayali festival, which is a festival of farmers, but everyone celebrates it there. In which there is also a local holiday in the state of Kerala. During this there is a holiday of 4 days. In view of the popularity of this festival, in 1961 it was declared as the National Festival of Kerala.
The festival of Onam is celebrated all over Kerala for 10 days. The Government of India is promoting this colorful festival internationally so that more and more tourists can come to Kerala during the Onam 2020 festival. Its effect can also be seen, to see Kerala being called the country of God, most people go during Onam.
When We Celebrate Onam 2021
The festival of Onam is celebrated in the month of Chingam according to the Malayalam calendar. It is the first month of the Malayalam calendar, which mostly falls during the months of August-September. According to the second solar calendar, this month is also called Simha month, while according to the Tamil calendar it is called Avani month. Onam festival is celebrated when Thiruvonam Nakshatra falls in the month of Chingam. Thiruvonam Nakshatra is called Sravana according to the Hindu calendar.
This time in the year 2021, Onam will start from 12 August and will run till 23 August. Thiruvonam day is the most important of the Onam festival, which is on 23rd September.
Significance of Onam Festival
Onam 2021 is an ancient festival, which is still celebrated with great enthusiasm in modern times. Along with Onam, the festival of rice harvest and the festival of rain flowers are celebrated in Kerala in the month of Chingam. The story of Onam 2020 festival is related to Asura King Mahabali and Lord Vishnu. People believe that during the Onam 2021 festival, King Mahabali comes to the state of Kerala every year to meet his subjects, to know about their well being, prosperity. This festival is celebrated in the honor of King Mahabali.
Also read How to download youtube video for free
How to celebrate Ten Days of Onam 2021
|athan||The first day is when King Mahabali prepares to go from Hades to Kerala.|
|chithira||Starts making a carpet of flowers called Pookalam|
|chodhee||The next layer is made with 4-5 types of flowers in Pookalam.|
|Wishakam||Various types of competitions start from this day.|
|anijham||The preparation starts for the boat race.|
|Thriketa||The holidays begin.|
|moolam||Special worship starts in temples.|
|Puradum||The idols of Mahabali and Vamana are installed in the house.|
|uthraadom||Mahabali enters Kerala on this day|
|thiruvonam||Main onam festival|
Interesting Facts about Onam 2020
- The main celebration of the Onam 2021 festival resides in the Thrikara temple of Kochi. A special event is held in this temple on the festival of Onam, to see which people from abroad reach there. A grand event is held in this temple for ten days, dancing, singing, worship, aarti, fair, shopping are the specialties here. Various competitions are also held at this place, in which people actively participate.
- In the ten-day festival of Onam 2021, the first day is Antha, from which the preparations for Onam start all around. House cleaning starts for Onam, markets are mainly decorated. There is a festive atmosphere all around
- A special Sell is set up for the farmers in the market, along with this, the market of clothes and jewelry is also set up.
- The boat race, which is called Vallamkali, is prepared in full swing. This race is organized after Onam. This boat race is organized only in this part of India, which is famous all over the world.
- There is also a holiday during the Onam 2020 festival, due to which people go to their hometowns to celebrate this festival with their people.
- Buying and wearing new clothes has special significance in Onam festival. It is called Onakkodi.
- As Mahabali was a donor, so charity has a special significance in this festival. People donate different types of things to the poor and charities.
- The dishes prepared on the last day of Onam 2021 are called Onam Sadya. In this, 26 types of dishes are prepared, which are served on banana leaves.
- The folk dance of Kerala can also be seen there during Onam, its event is also prominent there. Special events are held for Thiruvatirakali, Kummattikali, Kathakali, Pulikali etc.
- Although the festival of Onam 2020 ends on the tenth day, but some people celebrate it for two more days. Which is called third and fourth onam. During this, the idols of Vamana and Mahabali are immersed in the holy river. Pookalam is also removed and cleaned on this day.